Saturday, May 8, 2010

The End: My Final Thoughts and Conclusions

Wednesday December 23, 2009

Hey readers! I know it's been a while! For those of you who are still reading, or wanted a follow up, my only excuse for the lateness of this post is because I felt I needed to sit and let this trip brew in my mind for a while.

You see, it hadn't really hit me that we accomplished such an audacious task, but after conversations and questions from people who I talk to about it now, and after seeing US maps and just being in awe, it has set in a little more. I could easily sit here and write 30 pages about how things are now, and how I changed and feel after biking across the US, but I'll spare you.

Instead, I want you to just imagine what it's like to see every kind of terrain, and what it's like to smell every kind of air, to feel wind from every direction, to hear a different kind of bird each morning when you wake up. These are all things that taught me some humility. Humans are amazing creatures, you tell us we can't do something, it makes us want to succeed more. You tell us there is a view up on the hill, and we'll find a way, no matter how difficult it is, to get there. We are caught in an enigma, we want to belong to something, but we also want to feel small among the world that we live on. I think putting yourself through something like we did really emphasizes all of those aspects of human nature. We didn't try to get in shape, we didn't bike for a cause, and we didn't try to win a race. Instead we set out for ourselves to feed on experience.

We've been home now for 2 months. I am struggling to find a job. Dugg got a month long stint working at UPS and his time is up tomorrow. Sonny is working back at CAT and hasn't talked to us since our last night together in San Fran (I'm hoping he's just really busy). Reality came in and hit us hard, and it sucks, but the only way to deal with a problem is face it and never give up, again something that was a constant occurrence during our travels.

I told many people this along the way, and I'll say it here. Jump around, play, sing, and find a way to get your ass on some sort of trip that will take you somewhere different. Get up and get out of your comfort zone, bring friends, and measure yourself against all the odds. And most importantly, HAVE FUN. Because if you aren't having fun, you're doing it wrong, and what is the point if you're not enjoying every moment? We did something meaningful with our time, and you can too. Just take that step and grab opportunity at first glance.

I want to thank EVERYONE that we met and stayed with, there are so many people I'm not going to name anyone because I know I'll forget the others. Just know that you made our trip worth it, and we'd do it again in a heartbeat if it meant we got to hang out with you generous folks out there. This entry is going to be my last, then my journal days are done for a while (I'm sure some people are thankful for that haha). I think I'll end with one of the most powerful things I read during our trip, that was in the most obscure of places:

"The time to be happy is now, The place to be happy is here."

Always remember that. Take care and good luck on your own journeys.

-Cole Bear signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment